February 29, 2004

Lee to Northampton, days 2 - 4

Keeping a blog of the walk is harder than I expected. After walking 15 miles or so, I'm usually pretty tired out. Then we often are the focus of some sort of public gathering in a church or other community center where we finish the day's walk, which includes talking with people who show up, eating a wonderful pot luck dinner with lots of wonderful and delicious vegitarian food, and doing some sort of circle or gathering. After that there's not much energy before I'm ready for bed, since there's a 5 AM wakeup for morning prayers.

On the second day of the walk, we left Lee in the morning, then walked to the Kushi Institute in Beckett, where we had a wonderful macrobiotic lunch given to us by the Institute. From there we drove to West Cummington, where we got back on the road and walked to The Old Country Creamery in Cummington. Not only was the walk challenging due to climbing up some pretty steep grades on the way to Beckett, but I had some sort of sinus infection, so I was crying out of my right eye and blowing my nose every 5 minutes. By the time we ate dinner, I was blowing my nose every minute or so.

Gopi's house, the Flying Turtle.

Our host for the night was Gopi, and we stayed at his house, The Flying Turtle. In the morning, my nose and eyes had not cleared up, in fact they were getting worse, and I was thinking of heading home to take a few days off. When Gopi heard this, he handed me some Echinacia along with a glass of water, and told me to take some on my tongue followed by a drink of water. About 15 minutes later, my nose and eyes had cleared up, and I perked up. Since we were driving to our starting point for the day, we stopped off to pick up some Echinacia, and I was set for the day. We walked from Huntington to Westfield, through some nice forested country roads.

Tailgating - peace walk style.

Marilyn and Richard showed up with lunch, and both of them walked with us at some point during the day.

Relaxing after reaching Northampton this afternoon.
Community circle before dinner.

Today was a beautiful spring day, and 3 of our hosts from last night walked with us towards the edge of Westfield, where they got picked up to help shuttle the cars ahead. When we stopped in the middle of Southampton, we were joined by Mikey, who had been on a previous walk for a few days. It turned out he was in a band with the son of Trudy, who was one of our hosts from the previous evening.

Posted by Craig at February 29, 2004 07:53 PM | TrackBack